We are happy to be a part of this exciting announcement, increasing awareness of Osteopathic Medicine in Western New York!
What is Osteopathic Medicine?
- One of the two schools of medicine in the United States, the Doctor of Osteopathy or DO has the similar credentials of an Allopathic Doctor or MD, but a minimum of 200 hours of hands on training in physical diagnosis and treatment before they graduate medical school.
- Frustrated with the traditional medicine of the time, the founder of Osteopathic Medicine Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, developed a method of diagnosis and treatment based of the follow tenants:
- The body is a unit
- The body is able to heal itself
- Structure and function are related at all levels
- Rational treatment of a person should be guided by the above principals
- Therefore, it can be summarized that if the barriers for disease are removed through proper anatomic alignment, the body has the ability fix itself.